Tolleson Union HSD Logo
La Joya Community High School
Tolleson Union High School District

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the school hours?

School is in session from 7:25 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

Back to Top

Can we leave campus for lunch?

No. We understand eating lunch off campus is fun, but this is really a matter of safety rather than restriction. All TUHSD schools have a closed-campus policy; this means students must remain on campus from the first bell until dismissal.

Back to Top

What is La Joya’s attendance policy?

Daily attendance and punctuality are of the utmost importance in order to assure student success in school. We expect students to take responsibility for attending all of their classes on time. If your child must be absent, please contact the attendance clerk at (623) 478-4402. Parents must provide the following information when calling the school to report a student absent:

  • Student name
  • Student identification number
  • Day(s) absent
  • Reason for the absence
  • Address/phone number where we can reach the parent if needed
Back to Top

Does La Joya provide bus transportation for students?

Yes, we provide the privilege of bus transportation for our students. Learn more>>>

Back to Top

How do I transfer or withdraw from a class? Is there a penalty if I do?

Students wishing to transfer from a class must complete the request to transfer by the second week of the semester unless the reason for the request is based upon inappropriate placement.

Students may withdraw from a class without penalty through the end of the second week of the semester. After the second week, you must have a passing grade in order to withdraw without penalty. Student who withdraw with a failing grade will post a grade of F on the permanent transcript.

Back to Top

How do I qualify for the honor roll?

Honor roll students maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better for all graded classes. You cannot be considered for the honor roll if you have any F or I grades.

Back to Top

What is West-MEC?

West-MEC (Western Maricopa Education Center) is a public high school district focused solely on innovative Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs. CTE programs combine academic and career skill development and provide students with college credits, internship opportunities, and industry certifications. You can learn more by visiting West-MEC online or talking to someone in our CTE department.

Back to Top